Blog Tips – Getting Comments

Blog Tips – Getting Comments

By Sté Kerwer to Blogging

Personally, I never worried about how many comments my blog got until I read a review of Dukeo by George from Seek Defo. His review was a real eye-opener for me, proving once again that even an old dog can learn a new trick every now and then.

In his review titled, “Dukeo, The Insanely Awesome Blog”, George writes:

Secondly what irritates me is the eerie silence over there. The blog seems to have a mute audience, an un-moving mass of spectators so stunned that they are unable to speak anything.

I on the other hand am so dazed that I have to speak out at the wonders he creates.

But if the audience is so stunned then why did it speak in 46 comments on the contest post compared to the persistent, perennial, everlasting and evergreen 0 comments.

And if it did speak then why was there no action- only one chap participated until the follow up post.

The eerie silence makes me wince when I think of guest blogging there, because I feel that the readership won’t bother!

I know I’ve said before that comments breed more comments and activity breeds more activity, but I never really looked at it from the visitor’s standpoint. It didn’t occur to me that zero comments would actually scare people away, for whatever reason.

Over the next few weeks I’m going to focus on increasing comments.

Evaluate active posts: I’m going to look at those posts that have generated the most comment activity and evaluate their content to see what caused those leaps in comment numbers.

Evaluate traffic vs comments stats: I’m going to analyze me stats to see where my traffic is coming from and if there have been any unexplained fluctuations in both traffic and comment frequency. Where is the traffic coming from for those most active posts? Is it referral traffic, direct or organic? If it’s organic, has it dropped? If it’s referral, where’s it coming from and what can I do to get more?

Evaluate comments: I’m also going to look more closely at the comments and each of my replies. I’m pretty good at replying to everyone who comments but I think I could encourage more engagement if I asked more questions and interacted even more.

Evaluate calls to action: After every post I always ask my readers what they think and invite them to leave a comment. I’m going to get a little more specific and start practicing what I preach. I’ve always said that if you want a reader to do something you have to take them by the hand and tell them exactly what you want them to do.

Get back to basics: I’ve written a follow-up post titled, “Blog Tips – Getting Comments – The Basics.” I’ll be using this as a checklist to evaluate my blog, and you should, too.

And now – Scroll down now and tell me what you think I should do to increase the comments at Dukeo. What works on YOUR blog?

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below!


Source : dukeo[dot]com

0 comments:

Post a Comment